Bring back what happen from the beginning of this year

Why I Replied Kiss Daniel – Tobi Grey[Interview] 

Credit:-delectablemusic.com.ng

Toby Grey

Following the success of Gboju(Woju Cover), we decided to interview Toby Grey. The below is the transcript of the phone interview Nakel had with her. READMORE BELOW



Who Is Toby Grey?
My real name is Adeyemi Tobiloba Maryam, I’m the first child of three children. I’m currently studying at the University of Lagos.

Where did the name, “Toby Grey” emanate from?
Like I said my name is Tobiloba, that’s where it came from.

What about the Grey?
You know Grey is an intermediate colour of black and white. *smiles*  Black signifies local, while white signifies foreign or international. Basically, my music cuts across borders – it’s a blend between African music and international music.

How do you get inspirations for your songs?
From experiences, not just my experiences though, but people’s experiences as well. And nature, or whatever inspires me.

How was your first recording session?
I was very very eager. I remember I didn’t eat anything all through the day. It was exciting.

Are you signed to any record label?
I’m not signed onto any record label at the moment. Although, I’m affiliated with an initiative, “GreyNation“, it’s kind of like a movement to help further my brand as an artiste.

Mi Mi Do Do & Ijo Ti Mojo

I noticed that you’ve worked with the likes of DJ Yo! Dee & Fliptyce to name a few, how was working with them?
Fliptyce is a very down to earth person, so, working with him was very easy.  And DJ Yo! Dee has been part of my. . . Ok let me just say, if I would be telling my success story in a few years, DJ Yo! Dee is one of the names I will mention.

How was coming as the second runner up at the UNILAG Pepsi campus challenge? I mean what was the experience like?
It wasn’t what I expected. I mean last female standing, that was huge. All in all, It was good experience.

In the next few years from now, where do you see yourself in the music industry?
I get this question a lot. *smiles* Definitely, I see myself on a bigger platform, something greater than where I’m now.

Gboju(Woju Reply), what brought about it?
It was a very playful cover, it was something I didn’t even go to the studio with an intention of singing. I went to the studio, and we were just gisting, and we said let’s just play around the song. It wasn’t something I racked my brain like, “Oh I want to do it. . .”. It was just something playful, something that just happened.

Who are the people you look up to in the music industry?
I’ve many people I look up to. The likes of  Nneka, Asa, and Waje to name a few.

How do you balance music and schooling?
It’s not easy.  Although, sometimes, classes might suffer. But I have good friends, and they can be like, “Oh, Tobi, where are you, you need to run to school now, we have lecture. . .”.  You know that kind of thing. So, I have people that always keep me in check. “You might be doing this right now, but school should not suffer.”

How do you deal with the male fans?
Seriously, it’s not easy. But I try to deal with them to the best of my knowledge.

How do you see the music industry right now?
I think the competition in the music industry at the moment is high. But at the same time, I also believe the sky is large enough for everyone. Everyone is doing their thing, which is good. The competition is much, but at the same time the floor is opened for everyone to do their thing.

Anything you want to share with your fans and other upcoming artistes out there?
To my fans – I would like to say, thank you to everyone whom has been supporting my career from day one. And those who joined along the line, thank you very much. I love you guys.
To the upcoming artistes – I would just say with persistence, patience, hard-work and prayers, you’ll get there.

Comments